Welcome

My photo
Hello and welcome to my blog. Here I will be showcasing all my design team work, general crafting and digital scrap booking.I hope you enjoy seeing my creations and listening to my ramblings. If you leave a comment I'll know you've been and be able to visit you in return. I read and appreciate all comments which are left - good or bad! Thank you for taking the time to visit me. Pop back soon. Carol xx

Sunday 31 March 2013

Altered Box

Good morning all. We had a beautiful day yesterday, still cool though. Had to go food shopping then had an evening in the craft room.

Can't believe it will be April tomorrow, although it will be nice to be back to light evenings again now that the clocks have gone forward. Hopefully it will warm up again soon too!

Warning this post is picture heavy!

Something  a little different from me today. I have a pile of empty boxes sitting on a shelf in my craft room waiting to be reused. When I was tidying/sorting the other week I came across one perfect for the shawl I'm knitting so I've spent the last few days altering it.
The box started life as an Estee Lauder gift box and had a navy blue strip across the middle of the lid so I painted the sides inside and out with acrylic paint, then used gold ink along the edges and some DI on the sides to give it a more vintage look.


The papers are all from a C&C kit which a friend gave me a couple of years ago. Again I came across the kit when tidying up and was wondering what to do with it....I love the papers but as they are all A4 they're difficult to use on cards. Then the little old brain cells clicked into place and I realised they were perfect for this project especially as the friend the shawl is for loves fairies.
I've decoupaged part of the image with a second sheet of the paper. The tag is made with one of the stickers which was also in the kit. The ribbon is recycled from a clothing label and the metal corners have been in my stash for ages. I've lightly distressed the paper with DI which probably doesn't show in the photo.


I've lined the inside of both the lid and base using more of the papers. The image in the lid is another sticker from the kit.



The kit also included sticky ribbons with pearls attached which I've attached around the sides.
You can see the layers on the image better on this photo.


The inside of the box is still scented from the gift set so smells lovely.

I need to get a turkey dinner organised now!!

Challenges entered:
Allsorts - vintage
Hotshot Crafts - anything but a card
Rhedd and Rosie Challenge - vintage/shabby chic
Craft-room Challenge - in the garden anything but a card
LEJ Designs - vintage/retro
Tuesday Throwdown - make something dimensional
The Crazy Challenge - fairies and flowers
Crafty-emblies - anything goes

Carol x

26 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous....love the papers and fab colours.

    Happy Easter.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a fantastic job you have done on this box. I too have had this beautiful kit sitting on my shelf for years not knowing quite what to do with it. You have now inspired me to get it down and use it at last as I too have loads of boxes to cover. Thank you so much for the inspiration. Have a great weekend. Hugs Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous Carol, such pretty papers and so beautifully finished.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous box Carol,so love the pretty papers, the fairy and the metal corners all make it a lovely keepsake. Happy Easter and enjoy the Turkey dinner, mouth's watering at the thought of it. Carolxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful Carol. I love the soft colours and gorgeous detailing.
    Happy Easter!
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carol, this is beautiful, thank you for joining in Rhedd and Rosie's challenge, good luck Hun, Zoe DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, this is so gorgeous. so much to see and take in....beautifully finished and just love the paper.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great project Carol, absolutely perfect for your shawl.
    Love the subtle colours
    Happy Easter

    Patricia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous altered box Carol! It will make the gift so special. I have a pile of boxes too - waiting ...........!!! Ah well, one day maybe. Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Carol this is gorgeous! paper is lovely its beautiful hun huggles Sue xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has ended up a real wow creation. Who would have thought how it started life. Thank you for share your creation with us at Totally Papercrafts. Enjoy the rest of your Easter.

    Hugs
    Cathy DT
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh WOW Carol this is stunning and what a fabulous way to recycle the box for the shawl. I am sure your friend will love this fabulous gift box as much as the shawl.

    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful altered box, lovely soft tones.
    Thank you for sharing your cration at Craft-Room Challenge, welcome again;-))m

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a gorgeous gift box!! love the fairy! thanks for sharing with us at Craft Room Challenge, Debi x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Carol, Oh my goodness this is absolutely beautiful what a great creation xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. A beautiful box . Thank you for joining us at LEJ Designs and good luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Carol, that is absolutely gorgeous....your friend is sure to love it! Hope you're having a lovely weekend!
    Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a lovely altered box -the fairy theme and feminine colors are beautiful. Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Throwdown this week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW Carol what a beautiful box you have created, this is a gorgeous present even without anything inside it!!
    Thanks for playing with the Diva's this week and good luck in the challenge. I hope you will join us again soon
    Hugs Laurie xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for entering our retro/vintage theme over on the LEJ Designs Challenge Blog.
    It's lovely to see something different and your pretty box is certainly that. The colours are gorgeous and make it really dreamy looking. Love the attention to the inside and outside and the decoupage elements. The corners and ribbon really finish it off.
    I hope you will play along with us again.
    Hugs Lisa xxxxx LEJ DT

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous gift box beautifully made over. Thank you for sharing with us at Craft-Room challenge XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful gift box, your friend will be thrilled..Thanks so much for sharing with us at Craft-Room..Esther xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Carol - this is gorgeous, I've recently started to hoard boxes etc to alter - I now know where to look for inspiration because I'm not sure quite what to do with them or where to start. Stunning box will look gorgeous with the knitted shawl, your friend is very lucky Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is beuatiful and has given me some ideas as to what to do with some of my boxes that are laying about. Thanks for joining us over at Crafty-emblies
    Liz (DT member)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Carol,
    What a lovely creation. Those papers & the stickers look so pretty. Thanks for joining us at Divas By Design this week.
    Hugs,
    Andie xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. A beautiful gift box that I'm sure will be well received. Thanks for joining us over at Crafty-Emblies Karen xx (DT member)

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. Constructive comments are always welcomed and appreciated on my creations. Carol x